Credentialing bike mechanics is a must for our Industry. WBI has done a superb job leading the way.
The Park Tool School
Register at bottom of page to reserve your spot
Hello, (August 3) COVID UPDATE:
Winter Dates Dates to be released November 11 5pm
- COVID UPDATE: We have reduced class sizes to 4 and everyone will work at their own bench to insure social distancing guidelines can be met for the foreseeable future. Class sizes will return to normal when distancing measures are relaxed.
Bicycles are a dynamic form of transportation, and an excellent form of recreation. The bicycle is a machine that sees use on a regular basis, and because of this it needs to be maintained. Brakes work through friction, that friction wears the pads down, and eventually the pads need adjusting and/or replacing. Grease breaks down over time in bearings and needs renewing to prevent excessive bearing system wear. Cable systems require adjustment and replacement from time to time. Chains wear out too, and knowing when your chain's ready for replacement will save you money in the long run by avoiding excessive wear on cassette or freewheel. By knowing how to inspect and service your bike, you'll be confident in your bike's safety and performance, and your long term costs will be reduced.
Park Tool School is a course that was designed by the famous bicycle tool company to help the average rider learn how to do their own basic repairs and preventive maintenance. It's a great program on many different levels.
- Park Tool School is empowering, i.e. it teaches you to be more self-reliant on the road or on the trail.
- Park Tool School saves you money by giving you the confidence to do your own basic repairs and maintenance, saving on those spendy service bills.
- By knowing the appropriate bike industry lingo, you'll be better prepared deal with your local bike shop when ordering parts, or when more extensive repairs are needed.
- You'll know what you can do, know how to spot work that's beyond your tooling or skills, and know what to ask for when you go to your local bike shop.
- Park tool School is a great way to meet other cyclists.
At Winterborne Bicycle Institute we run the Park Tool School every month. The course runs on a single weekend (all day Saturday and all day Sunday 9-5) and occasionally during the week with a one hour break for lunch. There's room for 8 students in each class. We like to keep the classes small so we can work closely with you during the hands-on labs, of which there are several; headset, bottom bracket and crank, tube and tire, hubs, chain, gearing and brakes. Students work in pairs at one of 5 impressively-equipped workbenches. We also have a full stable of shop bikes to support the hands-on labs.
The cost of the class is $300 +HST which includes 2 full days of instruction, a Park Tool "Certificate of Completion" and an opportunity to purchase tools and parts at a discounted price.
Also included in the cost of the course is the option to come in for a follow up session 1-2 hours max. The follow up session allows students to bring in their own bikes and work on them under the watchful eyes of an instructor. If you want to install those shiny new parts or even just switch out your cables and housings then you're invited to come in and use our tools to do the job. And of course we're here to help if needed.
Check the schedule to see when the next class is being offered. Feel free to call or e-mail with questions or for registration information. Spots in an upcoming class can be held with a $100 non refundable adminstration fee. The blance of the course cost, less the admin fee can be paid the weekend of the course.
Please note, cancellations or withdrawals closer than 1 week prior to the start of the class will forfeit any transferability of their non refundable administration fee.